Monday, January 16, 2017

Weekend flexibility and Dental Dillemas

Well I suppose I wouldn't make it through this without saying that I did end up finding things to fill my weekend with. It would be pretty sad to encourage everyone to go out there and do something that they loved without doing it myself.  So today I took the craziest 10 mile hike around Griffith Park.  I didn't exactly walk the whole park, but I did walk a good portion of it up in the hills, where only forest ranger trucks fear to tread.  And what's a good blog on some of the things that I did without some pictures to go with it.


I wish I could adequately describe the majesty of these birds there. They were beautiful and there were several of them circling around the area.  Instead it was all I could do to get one.


        
All those switchbacks worth of roads I walked before heading back up to the top of the road. Most of that road area was closed off. Given how many rockslides there were it is no wonder.




This is the Griffith Park Observatory from up above. Not only is it the jewel of the Griffith Park area, but today it happened to be closed off for filming. Not sure if the new film will have the notoriety of the original Griffith Observatory film, Rebel Without a Cause. Ah James Dean, you died too young.



I'm not going to get this close to the Hollywood Sign and not take a picture. That would be silly.  Given the recent change of the sign to Hollyweed, are you sure someone didnt change it to BillyWoo? I could swear I heard the Park Rangers say someone had jumped the fence going to the Hollywood sign again. A Billy Woo conspiracy? Who knows?

Honestly, aside from showing the pictures today I wanted to talk about trying to make the most of your day.  I know the one thing that jobs, family, and Plastic Man craves the most is flexibility.  I think all of us need to be reminded of that from time to time.  It's something our family desperately needs.  We need to be ready when things don't go according to plan.  And the more family members you have, the more it would seem impossible to expect anything to go according to plan!!!!  So when your weekend doesn't turn out the way you hoped it would, make a new plan. 

And I don't want to say that I am the king of flexibility. My tooth proved that this morning when I was eating breakfast.  Bite! Bite! Chomp! What's that in my hashbrowns? Ewww!  And so my day began with a pretty big hitch. And so I called the dentist office on a day it ended up having the day off.  (The fun of more obscure holidays you can't figure out whether your office is celebrating or not.) And instead I took a beautiful ten mile hike in Griffith Park seeing some wonderful things, as well as getting practice eating on the left side of my mouth.  What could be more fun and entertaining?

Seriously, it was quite an amazing hike on quite an amazing day.  This is the day we celebrate every year about the man who said, "I have a dream today."   Well I had many different dreams today. And the first is to be the best father that I possibly can be.  Maybe two dreams can come true today, maybe not completely, but in me. May that be true of you too.  Say hello to someone different today.  You just might make a lifelong friend.

Aside from that I will be signing off this evening. It's been a long crazy weekend. I will fill you in on the details of my dynamic dental diversion. And yes I do know the meaning of the word alliteration. And I will follow up with my midweek date. Hope this time I can find a new place to eat. Have any suggestions and post a comment on the bottom. I always look forward to hearing from you.

David Elliott, Single Dad's Guide to Life

No comments:

Post a Comment